Health and Safety
Authorized Austin EMS and Austin Fire personnel are available as required or requested for each event.
We are the exclusive provider of onsite paramedic services and fire safety services.
4.1 Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
Order paramedic services through your Security Coordinator thirty (30) days in advance. We may require additional medical services personnel for your event. A minimum of one (1) licensed paramedic is required to be onsite when:
- Event attendance is 5,000 or more, regardless of whether the event is private or open to the public
- Sporting or athletic events regardless of attendance
- Any event that your Event Coordinator considers necessary for the safety of your attendees
Wheelchairs are available for medical emergencies. You are responsible for providing wheelchairs for non-emergency use. Scooters are available to rent at the business center. Contact Rocio for more information on scooter rentals at 512-404-4259 or at email@example.com.
4.2 Fire Safety
Fire safety services must be ordered through your Event Coordinator thirty (30) days in advance. Austin Convention Center reserves the right to require fire safety services personnel for any size and type of event. Clients should pay the prevailing rate at the time of the event.
Approved fire safety personnel are required to be onsite:
- When it is required by federal, state, or local statute.
- When it is required by the Austin Convention Center policy, or deemed necessary for any event.
- Whenever, in the opinion of the Austin Fire Department, it is essential for the safety of the public, Austin Convention Center staff, or any City facility to be utilized as a public assembly venue.
- Anytime pyrotechnics, haze, fog, or smoke machine is in use.
- Permits may be required anytime pyrotechnics, haze, fog, or smoke machine is in use. Check with your Event Coordinator.
4.3 Hazardous Materials/Medical Waste
Any event that requires hazardous materials/medical wastes must receive written approval for their request thirty (30) days prior to the event. As part of this approval request, please include the following:
- A detailed list of all hazardous materials/medical wastes expected.
- A detailed plan of how materials will be handled, utilized, or the process of how they will be produced onsite.
- A detailed plan of how the materials will be removed and any associated cleanup performed.
Your Event Coordinator may assist you with facilitating these arrangements with the Security and Safety Division and the Austin Fire Department.
All potentially hazardous or medical waste should be removed from the facility at the end of the contracted event dates. Needles and sharps should be disposed of in RED puncture-resistant containers labeled with the biohazard symbol. All unregulated medical waste contaminated with blood or other potentially infectious materials (OPIM) should be double bagged and removed from the Austin Convention Center.
Any hazardous or medical waste materials left at the facility after contracted event dates will be disposed of by the facility and billed to clients. Regulated waste must be disposed of in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations.