Clients, service contractors and exhibitors must comply with all federal, state and municipal fire codes that apply to a place of public assembly, as well as Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations:
- Fire and emergency equipment exits, aisle/egress access ways may not be blocked or obstructed under any circumstances. All fire hose connections, extinguisher cabinets, and fire alarm call stations must be visible at all times.
- The following are responsible for ensuring all regulations are followed: client, exhibitor, General Services Contractors. It is a requirement for the AFD to review and approve all event preplans and floor plans.
- Chains or locks may not be placed on any facility door.
- All curtains, drapes, decorations and decorative or construction materials must be non-combustible or flame retardant. Documentation affirming non-combustible or flame retardant properties must be available on site.
- Whenever, in the opinion of the AFD, it is essential for public safety in any place of public assembly, the owner, agent, or leasee should employ one or more qualified persons, as required and approved by the AFD, to be on duty. These individuals should be subject to the AFD’s orders and should be in uniform and remain on duty during the times such places are open to the public.
- All event floor plans require Austin Convention Center approval. Your Event Coordinator will submit all floor plans to the Fire Marshal for approval.
- Clients are cautioned not to sell exhibit space until the Fire Marshal has approved the floor plan in an effort to avoid costly changes involving exhibitions.
Approval in advance is required for multi-level exhibits, single-level exhibits with an enclosed/covered ceiling, vehicles, boats, and similar exhibited products having a roof area of over four hundred square feet (400 sq. ft.). For details, please review Section 8: Exhibits.
Any exhibit containing a roofed area of three hundred square feet (300 sq. ft.) or more requires a fire extinguisher to be displayed at such exhibit.